Graduate Student, Materials Chemistry
Department of Chemistry
University of Wisconsin-Madison
Personal Website: www.wenjieli.com
B.S. Chemistry, Fudan University, 2014
Ph.D. University of Wisconsin-Madison, 2014-present
I am primarily interested in exploring and understanding materials for energy conversion and stoage applications.
Due to the intermittent nature of sunlight, the design of practical round-trip solar energy utilization systems requires both efficient solar energy conversion and inexpensive large-scale energy storage. Compared with separated solar energy conversion and electrochemical energy storage devices, combining the functions of separated devices into a single integrated device represents a more efficient, scalable, compact and cost-effective approach to utilize solar energy. My graduate research is focused on the development and demonstration of a novel type of integrated photoelectrochemical (PEC) solar energy conversion and electrochemical storage technology, which is called solar flow batteries (SFBs), by integrating efficient solar semiconductors in aqueous electrolytes with RFBs using the same pair of redox couples. Three aspects that often exert strong influence on each other, are mainly involved in my research: (1) the investigation and understanding of operation mechanisms for SFB devices; (2) the development of design principles and modeling methods to maximize the performance of SFBs; (3) the demonstration and device optimization for SFBs.
2) Wenjie Li, Hui-Chun Fu, Yuzhou Zhao, Jr-Hau He, and Song Jin, 14.1% Efficient Monolithically Integrated Solar Flow Battery, Chem (2018) DOI: 10.1016/j.chempr.2018.08.023
In the News:
- Record-breaking battery saves sunshine for a rainy day, Nature, 2018
- Angela Chen, How a ‘solar battery’ could bring electricity to rural areas, The Verge, 2018.
- Prachi Patel, New Device Marries Solar Cells With Flow Batteries, IEEE Spectrum, 2018.
- Cell Press, Device that integrates solar cell and battery could store electricity outside the grid, EurekAlert, 2018.
- Cell Press, Device that integrates solar cell and battery could store electricity outside the grid, ScienceDaily, 2018.
- Scientists Make 'Solar Flow Battery', Compound Semiconductor, 2018.
- Emiliano Bellin, International research group develops solar cell with storage properties, PV Magazine, 2018.
- Jack Loughran, Solar flow battery captures sunlight to provide electricity in remote areas, E&T Magazine, 2018.
- David Tenenbaum, Solar cell, married to liquid battery, achieves record efficiency, UW News, 2018.
1) Wenjie Li, Hui-Chun Fu, Dr. Linsen Li, Dr. Miguel Cabán-Acevedo, Jr-Hau He and Song Jin, Integrated Photoelectrochemical Solar Energy Conversion and Organic Redox Flow Battery Devices, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed.,2016, 55, 13104., DOI: 10.1002/anie.201606986
In the News:
- David Tenenbaum, A marriage made in sunlight: Invention merges solar with liquid battery, UW News, 2016; ScienceDaily, 2016; ScienMag, 2016.
- Luke Dormehl, Solar-powered liquid battery hybrid prototype could be major breakthrough, Digital Trends, 2016.
- Meredith Rutland Bauer, The Quest for Solar Batteries, the Holy Grail of Clean Energy, Motherboard, 2016.
- Rachael Andrew, Battery technology aims to store the sun, The Daily Cardinal, 2016.
- This Solar-Charged Battery Directly Converts Sun’s Energy and Stores It in Liquid Electrolyte, TrendinTech, 2016.
- Jesse Allen, New in solar: nighttime batteries; when defects are good; boosting perovskite efficiency., Semiconductor Engineering, 2016.
- Luke Dormehl, Solar-powered liquid battery hybrid prototype could be major breakthrough, Yahoo News, 2016.
- A Marriage Made in Sunlight, R&D, 2016.
- New Invention Merges Solar and Liquid Batteries, The Science Explorer, 2016.